Thursday, June 25, 2009

Star Power: Nurse Jackie to the Rescue


WASHINGTON (AP) — Award-winning actress Edie Falco, cable television's no-nonsense "Nurse Jackie," delivered a stern message to lawmakers Thursday: fix health care.

"I'm here because I've traveled through the health care system and there are some holes," Falco, a breast cancer survivor, told a Capitol Hill rally for health care overhaul. "I'm here because I care about the people in this country and I know that we can do better, that we must do better." ... full story HERE.


I've watched the new Showtime series "Nurse Jackie" starring Edie Falco - mixed emotions about it. I'm a long time "E.R." watcher and it's tough for me getting into this show with no real heroes to root for. It's entertaining but I hate thinking about Doctors and Nurses as people who are either too busy to care too much or just too uninterested in their patients to worry about caring. People tell me it's more true to life than "E.R." which, frankly, scares the hell out of me - especially knowing they're probably right.

All that being said, it's good Edie Falco is out there in the real world trying to make a difference. I just hope we don't wind up with a system like the one President Obama campaigned against before he won the election. You know, the system where you get fined if you're not buying your own health insurance. If people could afford it, they'd already be buying it. And yes, the goal is to lower costs so it's affordable to more people - but fining people for not having it seems counter-productive. It seemed so to Candidate Obama, as well, didn't it? That's how I remember it, anyway. It's one of the reasons I was for Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment