Friday, June 19, 2009

Boycotting Olive Garden


I've never been one for boycotts. I'm just not a joiner, really. But when I heard the news yesterday that Olive Garden had pulled their ads from the David Letterman "Late Night" show on CBS, I was livid. That anyone would bow to pressure from the Sarah Palin crowd, even after Dave had apologized profusely for the crime he had not committed (the jokes he told were directed more at A-Rod than Palin or her Alaskan clan), well, they just don't deserve my business.

I mentioned this on Twitter and I got a ton of response - most of it had to do with how Olive Garden sucks anyway so it'd be easy to boycott them. I kind of like Olive Garden - well - liked. No more. Sorry, folks. If you're siding with Palin you're no friend of mine. And more importantly, if you're not siding with Dave.... you can go the way of Circuit City and Linens & Things for all I care. Good riddance.

Jayson Tanner aka: mystic23 on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. OK, I don't eat at Olive Garden as I'm not impressed with their calorie-laden make-pretend Italian offerings. If I want Italian I go somewhere more authentic.

    Also, I don't watch David Letterman. Why? Well, I don't really watch TV much at all, and never the late-night chat shows. I prefer some history or science myself.

    I also have to say that because I don't watch this show, I haven't seen the s that has gotten everyone hot under the collar.

    So why am I writing here?

    I don't have much time for politicians. Period. Partisan politics sucks. I have even less time for those that want to preach on about freedom and liberty, but then clearly show that it's only if you agree with their brand of freedom and liberty - in other words don't say anything that they disagree with, or they might want to take your liberty from you, or at least make your life unpleasant.

    Now, we all make mistakes in life; mostly minor, sometimes big ones. It would seem that perhaps Dave letterman made a mistake going anywhere near this self-righteous Alaskan, but even if, and I stress if (as I didn't see the joke) Dave Letterman was in error, he has in any case, issued an apology.

    What else is he supposed to do now?

    In my experience the best way to deal with issues in life is to make up (or agree to differ) and move on.

    I guess, over this one sketch, Palin wants all the advertisers to quit CBS, so that CBS is forced to fire Letterman, and ten she will be happy. S

    Sounds like a witch hunt to me, and sounds very much that it's not the sort of person that America needs or should want in high office.

    As for Olive Garden jumping on the bandwagon, what are they possibly hoping to achieve except to align themselves with a bunch of GOP extremists, which I cannot see will do any good for their business.

    Everyone involved in this needs to step back, grow up, move on, and deal with the real issues facing this nation and the world at large.

    Oh, one lesson learned I guess. Don't say as much as boo to any of these right wing fanatics, as they try to bite back and hang on like a rapid dog if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame that the higher-ups at Olive Garden are letting Palin and a few dozen Letterman protesters tell them what to do.

    Wait, did I say "a few dozen"? I meant "a dozen". Sorry.

    ReplyDelete