Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Family: Fundamentalist Cult in D.C. with Undo Influence on Congress



I'm pretty sure there was once a guy named Charles Manson who called his little cult "the family". That might be a red flag, you know? If you're looking to join a church (or a house church you can live at) and they refer to themselves as "the family" - yeah, I'd stay clear.

I'm hoping a more mellow church can have some influence over Congress in the near future. Unity? The Unitarian Universalists? Something's got to give. Why should hardcore fundamentalists, drunk with images of power and might, be the only people allowed to influence our leaders in D.C.? Give me someone who believed, like Thomas Jefferson, in the principles of The Sermon on the Mount any day.

Side note: Any church caught on video advocating for one party over another should not be tax exempt. Left or right. Either way. That's not to say a religious person or even a minister can't have a party affiliation but when you're speaking from the pulpit (or a stage in front of your own church members) you have to abide by certain standards in order to keep your tax exempt status. Shouldn't that be obvious?

I'm wondering if I should move to D.C. in hopes of deprogramming Congressmen who have fallen victim to these fundamentalist cults. Hey, I'm available for consultation if anyone up there in Washington needs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment